A Korean meal is never complete without a bowl of white rice, but it can be tricky for first-timers to cook it just right. Here are our five secret steps for the perfect steamed rice, every time.
- 200g of short grain rice
- 200ml water
- Start by washing the starch from your rice. To do this, rinse it very gently until the water runs clear. Next, soak your rinsed rice in cold water for 10 minutes. This helps the grains cook nice and evenly. Note: You can use any rice, but for real Korean flavour, short grain is the best!
- Drain the soaked rice and add it to a pot, and then cover it in 200ml of fresh water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Make sure to give the rice a gentle swirl in the pan (or stir once) to stop it sticking together.
- Add the lid and cook for another 10 minutes over a low-medium heat. This is important, as if you cook the rice on too high a heat, you could end up with a chalky texture.
- Turn off the heat and leave to stand with the lid on — don’t be tempted to remove it. Patience is key for this final step. Wait for five minutes, and eat!